10 WAYS TO CUT YOUR ENERGY BILL
1. One of the easiest ways to cut your heating and cooling bill is to make sure that your attic has 7 inches (R-22) or more (up to R-49) of fiber glass or rock wool insulation.
2. A simple step we often ignore—replace or clean your AC vents once a month.
3. Don't leave your bathroom ventilator running longer than necessary, as it can drain your entire house of cooled or heated air in about an hour!
4. During the summer keep your drapes closed in the heat of the day. In the winter keep the south facing window drapes open.
5. Make sure all windows are caulked and weather-stripped to save 10% off your H/AC bill.
6. White window shades or blinds will deflect the heat away from your house.
7. Lower hot water costs by installing low-flow shower heads and faucets.
8. Insulate your water heater and set its thermostat at 115o F.
9. You can cut up to 50% off your lighting costs by replacing 25% of the bulbs in your main-use areas with fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent lights are more expensive but also last 6-10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
10. Plant trees ASAP. Well placed trees will not only lower your energy costs but will increase the curb-appeal of your home and make.
These are just a few of many tips that can help cut some of the cost of owning a home in Northern Virginia. If you are interested in more ways to save energy, here is a very useful read.